The very sound of the word Thekkady evokes images of elephants, unending chains of hills and spice scented plantations. Spread across the entire district are bewitching plantations and captivating hill towns that hold great opportunities for treks and mountain walks.
Thekkady is also the only sanctuary in India where you can have the unique experience of viewing wildlife at close quarters from the safety of a boat on the lake, including the pleasure of watching herds of wild elephants that come down to the lake's edge and offer great views to the tourists that come to the sanctuary.
Indeed, Thekaddy is a nature lover's ecstasy with its unspoilt tropical forests and its incredible wealth of animal and plant life. The Periyar forest has great views and is the best place for photography with its picture perfect landscape. Set off on a memorable plantation tour, spice garden trek, walking through the cardamom, coffee, pepper and tea plantations or, make the most of it by walking into tribal settlements and experiencing their culture up close. And, of course, don't miss out on riding through the jungle on elephant back and see how it feels to walk in grandeur and style of nature
- Area: The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is spread across 777 km2 (300 sq. miles).State: Situated in Kerala, close to Kumily, the Kerala - Tamil Nadu border town.
- Distance: Located about 229 km from Tiruvananthapuram, 114 km from Madurai Airport and 170 km from Cochin Airport.
- Altitude: 800 to 1200 meters above sea level.
- Take-away: Kerala Spices, Cee Pee Spices, Indian Spices, Crescent Spices.
- Rainfall: 3260 mm on an average.
Want to skip the waiting & view it right away?
Click on the + sign to view the photos.
20°C - 36°C
16°C - 27°C
BEST TIME TO VISIT
September to March is the best time to enjoy the eye catching, lusting greeneries. Bird watchers can spot migratory birds during post monsoon and winter seasons.
Summers are optimal periods to spot more wild animals when they flock to water sources