NAINITAL – A BRIEF TIMELINE:
1815 – British occupied Kumaon and Gharwal.
1839 – An English Businessman, P. Barron strayed into the hills, got lost and stumbled on the beautiful lake. Barron was so enamoured by the bewitching beauty of the lake, that he left his sugar business to build a European colony on it shores.
1841 – Nainital appeared in an issue of the ‘Englishman Calcutta’, announcing the discovery ‘of a lake in the vicinity of Almora’.
1850 – The Nainital Municipal Board was formally constituted.
1862 - Nainital became the summer seat of the North Western Provinces.
Nainital saw phenomenal progress after it became the summer capital. Bungalows, clubs, recreation centres, marketing areas and more sprouted. It also became an important centre of education, as the British preferred to educate their children in crisper air, faraway from the discomforts of the plains.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The north end of lake is called Mallital while the southern one is called Tallital.
- A bridge connects the two banks, and has a statue of Mahatma Gandhi and a Post Office – the only post office in the world on a bridge over a lake!
- Nainital Lake is called Tri-Rishi-Sarovar. The three sages Atri, Pulastya and Pulaha, who, upon finding no water in Nainital, dug a hole and filled it with water from the holy lake Manasarovar in Tibet. A dip in Naini Lake, "the lesser Manasarovar," earns merit equal to a dip in the great lake.