Here’s the recipe for a hearty Sunday meal – flavours of Karwar straight from the Chef Sendil Kumar’s kitchen.
|Large slice of seer fish||1|
|Red masala paste||For marination|
|Chilli powder||3.5 tsp|
|Coriander powder/seeds||1 tsp|
|Fenugreek powder/seeds||¼ tsp|
|Tamarind extract||¼ tsp|
|Ginger-garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Chopped garlic||1 tsp|
|Chopped ginger||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||5 nos.|
|Lemon juice||2 tsp|
- Apply red masala paste to fish and leave for about 20 minutes for the fish to marinate. Water should not be added during marination
- Use thick bottomed kadai, pour water to immerse the fish in such a way that at least 1/4 inch of paste should rest on fish. Use water from the masala for preparing liquid to immerse the fish in
- Use high flame initially and later lower the flame and cook till water content evaporates to leave thick paste on fish. Turn the fish upside down only if need be. Usage of oil can be avoided unlike conventional shallow fry
- The main skill involved here is in preparing the paste with adequate amount of water.
- Once the fish hardens, completion of cooking is indicated. The remaining paste has to be left in the vessel as it is
- The fish may now be served wrapped in plantain leaf to get distinct flavour.
|Calorie count||140 kcal|
|Total fat||20 g|
|Total carbohydrates||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|